S.M.S.A.T.





(This manuscript of mine,written in mid eighties, was found recently while sifting through my old papers.Being reproduced without any edit not to dilute its sanctity)

                                                                         S.M.S.A.T.

So here I was at the bus stand, having just arrived from Hospet, all set to embark upon another trip (within the city) which was in no way easier than the one I had just completed. With the little luggage I had, I gingerly approached an autorickshaw. My conversation with the auto-rickshaw driver went like this:-
I- Sir,are in a mood to go to some place?
AD-(Auto Driver) Well, that depends.....
I-Would you mind taking me towards Malleswaram?
AD-Of course,I mind.
I-May I ask why?
AD-Well, you see it is rather late in the night (it was only seven) and I won't get any passenger for coming back.
I-Well, Malleswaram is not exactly in wilderness. Somehow, whenever I want to go somewhere I get the same answer. Last time when I wanted to go to Shanthinagar, I was given the same stock reply by one of your colleagues.
AD- Oh! Shanthinagar is no problem. I could certainly take you there.(After a chuckle),I could even charge you less as that happens to be where my garage is.
I-Well, that settles it then. Please take me to Shanthinagar. I won't mind that.
AD-(Taken aback) What did you say? Shanthinagar.
I-Yes, of course.
 Without giving him any chance to change his mind, I hopped into the vehicle with my belongings and we started moving. After a few minutes, unable to contain his curiosity, he turned towards me and said," Well, I wonder how is it that you changed your destination so easily from Malleswaram to Shanthinagar?"
I -You may find it intriguing but once I tell you the idea behind it, you will find it perfectly logical. Before I tell you about it, let me first admit that on my way from Hospet to this place, the topic of autorickshaws did crop up amongst fellow travellers and the consensus was that auto Rickshaw drivers belonged to a privileged category. It is entirely up to the wishes of the auto drivers to take or not take to take any passenger. Though some may oblige, there are some whose decision is binding on us. Therefore it would be naive for one to think that he can take an auto rickshaw to a place he wants. Instead we should be flexible enough to mould our objectives to suit the temperament of an auto rickshaw driver.
Therefore I decided this way. Since I have a large number of friends, relatives and well-wishers scattered throughout the city, I can leave the choice of the destination to the omnipotent driver. I certainly made a weak attempt to choose and propose a destination, but the final disposal of my proposal (a-la Man proposes God disposes) was left to you , the Almighty. Therefore,the final outcome is that instead of visiting my sister in Malleswaram,I will visit my old friend in Shanthinagar".
Thoroughly perplexed at this weird explanation, he could not utter any word. I added, "Thanks to this, it has solved my biggest problems of deciding with whom to stay in Bangalore. At the same time, the person with whom I am unable to stay can hold nothing against me as the decision is beyond me."
By now, the driver appeared to have serious doubts about my mental state. He decided to probe further.
AD-May I ask the purpose of your visit to Bangalore?
I-Well, this matter is of confidential nature. Anyway, since in any case, this will be in all newspapers tomorrow,I see no harm in revealing it. Tomorrow, we are meeting to launch a new association to be called S.M.S.A.T. (Society for the Mitigation of the Sufferings of Autorickshaw Travellers).The aim of this association will be to bring all such sufferers(whose tribe is growing) together to find out ways and means mitigating their sufferings. Some have suffered so much that they are on the verge of nervous breakdown. Our aim is to console all such souls".
By now, we had reached our destination. Hence our conversation came to a halt.

The next day, most of the delegates could not make it to the venue on time because of a snap strike by auto rickshaw drivers. Hence the meeting had to be called off.

Was it just a coincidence? I keep wondering.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Train Journeys in 50's and 60's

HOLI MEMORY- A TALE FROM CHILDHOOD

HMV- an Epitaph